Friday, December 10, 2004

The Longest Psalm

Psalm 119 is the longest chapter in the Bible, and its subject is the goodness of God's Law. I want to draw some attention to one section, verses 57-64. In particular, look at verse 64:

"The earth is filled with your love, O LORD ;
teach me your decrees."

It's interesting to me that the writer's response to the vastness of God's love is a desire to obey His Word. In our day it is not uncommon to see the idea of love equated with unbridled libertarian freedom, even in Christian teaching and practice. What I mean is that we think that love automatically leads to permissiveness, to the belief that I can do anything I want to. Yet here the Psalmist, upon reflecting on the love of God, years to obey Him.

Of course it makes sense that you want to please one whom you love and who loves you. Jesus says just as much in John 14:21: "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”

Love for God, then, is not just a warm and fuzzy feeling we get from time to time when the music is just right. Real love for God produces an earnest desire to live in such a way as to please Him in every way. The proper response to God's unfathomable love for us is obedience to Him. As the Psalmist expresses, this begins with a desire for His Word.

How do you respond to God's love? Does your life reflect God's love in this way?

No comments: