Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Praying for Endurance

In writing about the pervasive theme of endurance throughout the Scriptures, John Piper comments on how regularly various biblical writers pray for it in some form or fashion. He cites four such examples in the Psalms that neatly form the acrostic pattern IOU'S:

Incline my ear to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain. (Psalm 119:36)

Open my eyes that I might behold wondrous things in your law. (Psalm 119:18)

Unite my heart to fear your name (Psalm 86:11 - as in unite it from all of the various allegiances and distractions that threaten to distract and divide it).

Satisfy me in the morning with you steadfast love. (Psalm 90:14)

This strikes me as a very practical and useful structure for prayer, which I suppose is why I'm summarizing it here.

(John Piper, "The Roots of Endurance," page 24)

No comments: